After about 50 hours of build time -- or if your Replicator 2 starts to squeak -- you should lubricate your threaded Z-axis rod and the X-axis idler pulley. Everything else is self-lubricating.
To lubricate the threaded rod and the idler pulley:
1. Find the PTFE-based grease we sent you with your Replicator 2.
2. Grab both sides of the build platform and move it to the bottom of the Replicator 2.
3. Use a clean, lint-free rag (or your finger) to spread the PTFE-based grease onto as much of the threaded rod as you can reach. Make sure you get the grease inside of the threads themselves. [1.1]
4. Grab both sides of the build platform and move it to the top of the
5. Use a clean, lint-free rag (or your finger) to spread the PTFE-based grease onto the lower part of the threaded rod. Make sure you get the grease inside of the threads themselves.
6. [1.2] Locate the X-axis idler pulley. If you are facing the front of the Replicator 2, the idler pulley is at the top left side. The idler pulley is one of the pulleys that allow the rubber belt to move the extruder from left to right. The pulley at the other end of the belt is called the timing pulley and does not require lubrication.
7. Squeeze a small amount of the PTFE-based grease directly onto the exposed area of the dowel inside the idler pulley and manually move the pulley back and forth to spread the grease. [1.3]